I just needed to get the last blog off my mind ("A Child Called It"), and now I'm back at The Red Pyramid and the crazy world of Egyptian Gods and ancient Pharaohs. At the moment Carter is discovering his powers and Sadie is almost dead, because the Crocodile God Sobek whacked her with his tail. They were almost at Set's lair and they were gearing up for a big battle with him when Sobek attacked. Carter and Bast battled with the giant Crocodile and they defeated him in the end, but with Bast's life, which was very sad for the kids, because she helped them throughout the book.
I think it is very interesting that almost all Egyptian Gods are Gods of something, for example, Horus is a god of war, Isis is the goddess of magic, and Set is the god of evil. What's also interesting is that a lot of Egyptian gods have animal shape and behave like that animal. Bast is a cat goddess and turns into a giant cat when she battles, Thoth is a god of knowledge and has a head of the ibis, the bird. Then there are the bad guys, like Sobek, a giant with a head of a crocodile and Serqet, the scorpion goddess. I have been interested in different mythologies since I was a kid and I'm pretty familiar with Greek and Roman and Norse gods but I don't recall any mythology with so many gods with an animal head and animal nature.
No comments:
Post a Comment